McKenzie THERAPY Approach to Back and Neck Pain
The McKenzie Therapy approach is a unique and extremely effective method to assess and treat the spine. It has been utilized by millions of people worldwide to reduce and eliminate back, neck and extremity pain of spinal origin. McKenzie is recommended by healthcare professionals across the country that are committed to ensuring that patients are pain-free as quickly and cost-effectively as possible.This treatment approach:
Promotes the body’s potential to heal itself without the overuse of medication, heat, cold, ultrasound, surgery or a most importantly- dependent care on the doctor.The goals of the McKenzie method are:
- Elimination of pain
- Return of function
- Prevention of recurrence
- This minimizes the number of visits to the clinic.
- The McKenzie treatment program consists of a series of individualized exercises.
- McKenzie therapy teaches patients how to prevent and self-treat future episodes of pain.
The McKenzie Therapy method incorporates a strong preventive strategy by teaching the patient how to minimize the risk of recurrence and how to rapidly deal with recurrence if it occurs.Patients treated with the McKenzie Therapy:
- Can often experience a rapid response and improvement during the first treatment;
- Are taught, by the doctor, methods of self treatment for current and future episodes of pain;
- Are provided education on factors which cause pain, including posture and body mechanics.
This therapy provides education to the patient about what causes their pain, what activities they currently do which contribute to the pain, how to treat themselves and how to prevent future occurrences. It is cost-effective in that a more efficient treatment can be provided using less treatment visits, while educating the patient how to self-treat and prevent future episodes.